Steve and I accomplished one of my 2010 goals on June 19- we ran a 5K! I signed us up in April for a race that was being advertised in the hospital where I work- Running with Angels. It benefits an organization called Angel Watch which helps parents who learn that their baby has life threatening or shortening conditions during pregnancy. As a nurse in labor and delivery, I have had experiences caring for a number of women in such a situation, and have seen the heartbreak they experience. I can only imagine how difficult it is for these parents to say hello and goodbye to their sweet babies in such a short amount of time. I was so greatful to be a part of this event! Steve and I completed the C25K program just a few days before our race, and while our ultimate goal was to simply finish, we wanted to finish our run in under 45 minutes (which is what our normal training runs had averaged) and run the whole time. We actually ended up doing a lot better than we hoped :D Out of 867 participants, we came in 371st and 373rd place with a total time of 35:32 (an 11:28 mile). Now for all you fit people out there, that may not be a big deal, and probably is embarassing by any other standard. But for us, it was great! Back in April we struggled to run 90 seconds at a time, and we ran (or jogged) the whole course of this race! Here are a couple of pictures to document our awesomeness ;)
My handsome boys, ready to run!
They released doves before the race- very cool!
Such a cute little relationship to watch
This is after we had a second to recouperate- we're still pretty exausted looking though :p
My awesome cheerleaders who showed up to bring us across the finish line!!
No comments:
Post a Comment